Tuesday 26 April 2016

Welcome!

You have found my blog, great, welcome! Right now there is only this post but there will be more shortly. So what is this blog about? There is short description about that under "about me" but here a bit more thorough explanation:

  • Why did I start a blog?
    • I enjoy writing and I enjoy handcrafts. I'm also a goal-minded person and just doing something isn't usually enough. Doing and showing it, preferably with a purpose is what I'm looking for. Handcrafts combined with writing (which I also like very much) means quite naturally a blog.
  • Why upcycling?
    • It is ecological. I quite dislike the idea that you throw away something and then buy new things that are similar to those what you just threw it away. For example bag accessories are just one thing, people (like I used to) often throw away their broken bags and don't think that at the same time they are throwing away some very usable pieces that can be used to make new bags. They end up on the growing pile of trashes while someone else somewhere orders those brand new things from a factory that causes more pollution. So why not try to make what you can, save the pieces that can be used and something else of them? Pieces that are also quite expensive to buy. So:

    •  It saves money. Of course it does. No explanation needed.

    • And it offers a challenge that new piece of fabric simply can't. When you have an old cardigan in your hands with a huge spot on the biggest part of it and you are determined not to throw it away but instead make something nice that you can actually use, you have to be really creative! First you have to think what the fabric would suit the best for, then you have to do some calculation (is there enough for what you have in your mind) and if not, how you make it enough? Are there details already on place that you can use as they are? How you go around with that spot of dirt, cut around it, maybe cover it with something? Ah, covering a spot brings you to a completely new task - search for a nice decoration. Then you find a nice tutorial how to make a flower with scrap fabrics, you start going through your fabrics and end up making a very nice flower to spice up the bag itself. There are buttons decorating one side of the bag, beautiful flower in the middle, your shoulders are aching, your back is aching, your working space is a total mess but damn you have a beautiful bag! It definately isn't something you would have done with a new fabric and the bag has a story, a reason why it is like that. And most of all, it is unique. 

    Then of course it might make things easier when you already have something ready. For example I made these tiny pants for a doll real fast by using old jeggins from my daughter, only side seams and waist to sew, hem of the legs were already in place. Now they look like real jeans with the right colour stitching.

  •  
    Of course sometimes you just can't throw away something and you want to keep that thing even though you have no idea what you can use it for. Or indeed, it just isn't usable for as it is. I had my son's favourite body with two spots in front so I couldn't give or sell it anyone and I didn't want to just throw it away because I liked the print the fabric had. So part of it turned out to be a worry eater. 
  • Why bags, house decoration, gifts?
    • I sew also a lot of clothes but as they are usually made of new fabric, they won't make appearance here. Also quite often I use ready patterns for them from magazines so I don't think there is much point dedicating a blog for them as all that is my creation is choosing the fabrics. There are alreadymany great blogs about using the latest fabrics and patterns and those bloggers do great job inspiring people to sew their own clothes but this isn't one of those blogs. Of course if I upcycle something to clothes, I will show them here.  
    •  I have a funny attitude for the bags, I like to make them but I'm not one of those who have many bags so that they have bags to go with certain shoes, certain jacket/coats, for certain occasions etc. And the reason why I only have couple bags is that I rarely find the ones that I like (also same goes with the shoes, I would make them if I had the tools and skill...). So, it is best to make them. Also bags, purses and pouches are great for upcycling since you can use almost anything to make them, if you have a leftover piece of fabric, small ribbons, buttons etc., you can use them for those if to nothing else.
    • House with two kids always needs more places to store things away and organize them so whenever I find a new idea, I will try to make something out of it. And who doesn't like to make their home cozier or prettier? Of course, the main focus on this blog are things made out of fabric, upcycled naturally.
    • There is always need for small or big gifts and if you think how much new things are bought just in december, in worse scenario for things that are never used and are just thrown away. So why not save money and nature and make them yourself?
Overall you could say that here you can find pretty much anything that is upcycled fabric but the main focus isn't in the clothes but in everything else. If I have recycled, upcycled or repaired something, I will share it with you. I would like this blog to be a place where you can find all kinds of tips how to use your old clothes, sheets, bags, curtains etc. instead of throwing them away. So there will be tutorials, ideas that I have come up with and ideas I have found somewhere else and think is worth sharing.

On my Pinterest boards you will find tutorials and tips for sewing bags and gifts and also ideas for house decoration.So if you are interested about the same things as I'm, you are very much welcome to follow me in Pinterest too!

- Elina







    No comments:

    Post a Comment